This movement is the next step up from Shouldering, in that you're doing the Shouldering move then adding an overhead press and setting the sandbag back down on your shoulder. It incorporates power and balance, but because you are adding in the press it adds a greater strength component for your shoulders and triceps.
Exercise Type: Full Body w/ added emphasis on upper body
Repetitions: 6-8 (each side)
1. Stand tall with the sandbag lying on the floor vertically between your feet.
2. Feet should be just beyond shoulder width apart with toes slightly pointed out in a sumo squat stance.
3. Keeping a good body position (lower back arched, weight on heels) having a slight bend in the knees, bend at the hips while pushing your glutes (rear) back, and scoop your fingers around the middle of the sandbag.
4. As you extend back up to standing lift the sandbag to support it on a shoulder.
5. From your shoulder lift ('Press') the sandbag overhead. Making sure to extend your arms up all the way.
6. Take just a moment (1-2 seconds) in this press position, then with control, lower the sandbag down to rest on the opposite shoulder.
7. Draw the sandbag back off your shoulder, bending at the hips (slight bend in the knees) until it's lying on the ground. Continue to hold on as you're doing your reps, repeating steps 4-7 by taking the overhead press from one shoulder to the opposite shoulder" to "by lowering the sandbag to the same shoulder.
An alternative move:
You can choose to switch up this exercise (in step 6) by taking the overhead press from one shoulder to the opposite shoulder.