The Bear Hug Squat takes all the benefits of a regular squat to another level by engage your chest, arms and core. The Bear Hug Squat is officially an Ultimate Body Press ALL-STAR EXERCISE!
Exercise Type:Lower Body & Core
Repetitions: 20-30 (with low weight for endurance goals) 6-12 (with heavier weights for strength goals)
1. Stand tall with the sandbag lying on the floor vertically between your feet.
2. Feet should be just beyond shoulder width apart with toes slightly pointed out in a sumo squat stance.
3. Keeping a good body position (chest up, lower back arched, weight on
heels) squat down, scooping your hands under the sandbag.
4. Draw the sandbag to your chest and stomach with a bear hug as you stand. Now you're ready for your repetitions.
5. Begin to draw your body towards the ground as if taking a seat. Make sure to keep a tight lumbar arch during the entire movement. Keep your weight on your heels.
6. Stop once your thighs drop just bellow the 90* angle, hips just bellow knees. (Make sure your knees are pointing the same direction as your toes during the entire movement.) (At this deep point of the exercise your chest should be up with the sandbag hugged firmly to it and lumbar should still maintain a tight arch.
7. Driving through your heels push your way back up to a tall standing position.
8. At the top of the movement your hips should be pushed forward and gluteus (rear) should be tucked under to complete the full range of motion.
Tips on form:
Make sure your knees are moving in line with the direction your toes are pointing. Keep weight on heals at all times during the movement.
Maintain a tight lumbar arch. Keep chest up.