The Bear Hug Squat takes all the benefits of a regular squat to another level by engaging your chest, arms and core. The Bear Hug Squat is officially an Ultimate Body Press ALL-STAR EXERCISE!
1. Stand tall with the sandbag lying on the floor vertically between your feet.
2. Feet should be just beyond shoulder width apart with toes slightly pointed out in a sumo squat stance.
3. Keeping a good body position (chest up, lower back arched, weight on heels) squat down, scooping your hands under the sandbag.
4. Draw the sandbag to your chest and stomach with a bear hug as you stand. Now you're ready for your repetitions.
5. Lower your body towards the ground as if taking a seat. Make sure to keep a tight lumbar arch and your weight on your heels.
6. Stop once your thighs drop just bellow the 90* angle, hips just bellow knees. At this point your chest should be up with the sandbag hugged firmly to it and lumbar should still maintain a tight arch.
7. Driving through your heels push your way back up to a tall standing position.
8. At the top of the movement your hips should be pushed forward and gluteus (rear) should be tucked under to complete the full range of motion.